Monday, January 17, 2011

First Day of Clases Reales


Today was the first day of Core Seminar. The adjunct professor, don Mike (I forget his last name and am too lazy to go see what I wrote down), did the main lecture portion today on Colonialism and Neocolonialism in Latin America. He was quite passionate. What he had to say was extremely interesting, and definitely brought light and truth to certain areas of history and current reality for me. He talked a lot about the connection of colonization to the impoverished countries today, and how even on the U.S. that is the case(referring to how the Native Americans live on reserves in poor conditions, which I don’t know much about that whole political thing or how much we have condemned them to that society so that is up for discussion and research in my mind) . But he had a point, that the common denominator between the lesser developed countries of today is that they were colonized by a bigger, more powerful country in the past. Their resources were taken, they were enslaved, etc. etc… He talked about how it happened how neocolonialism is happening today, I think.. idk, I’d have to check my notes, which would involve moving… yah no. Anyways, he then went into the “fake u.s. history” and the “real history”, which yes I’d heard allll the stereotypes of u.s. history, but I had also heard all of the real. It was nothing that I had not heard or been taught, yet he acted as if some atrocity was occurring in the U.S. and nobody knew this.( yes, I understand I am not the majority especially in that I read all assigned readings hahaha) But he used words that were very antagonist and heated and accusatory, that I did not appreciate. He continued to go on about centralized government and slammed conservatives for no apparent reason, equating them to the conservatives who said slavery was in the bible and who wouldn’t let women vote.  He made quite a few comments about conservatives in the U.S., and closedmindedness and I did not think he was being fair.  Just because I hold conservative viewpoints on certain issues does not mean that you can put me in a box and tell me what I will support, what I will believe, I if am right or wrong.  I hate it when people make assumptions like that. Just plain rude. He also then continued to slam all those who refuse to believe in evolution, calling them closed minded, and not open to ideas. He then had the nerve to say that the ENTIRE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY  agreed upon evolution! This bothered me quite a bit as for the past 3 semesters I have had evidence after evidence showing how evolution could not have occurred. My science professors who are all at least Dr. have talked about it extensively and I was shocked that in a Christian program they would say something like that so blatantly, and without saying yes there is some disagreement. That is all I ask, acknowledging that there are people who believe otherwise and may have some evidence.

 But, I must also add that I think he was trying to be extreme and present his personal opinion in total. That is what they encourage here. They have said that they are bringing in speakers who are passionate in their opinions and will present them as best they can and then they want you to challenge them, pick them apart, and decide for you yourself what you believe and don’t believe.Which I love!! Controversial discussion, the best! Hahahaa

( Rocci, Charlotte, Chels, many times during this lecture I was making faces/noises… alas you weren’t there to hear my qualms)

After that lecture we had Processing Groups, which are a group of students, about 6 I think, and we stay together the entire semester, discussing the lectures and materials, and talking out all the issues that are presented to us. The groups rotate through the different LASP staff members.

We then headed off on our lovely, though lengthy, walk to ICADS for the first day of Spanish class! I am in “class” with 3 other girls. They have divided everyone up into groups of 3 or 4 with a teacher. The teacher is hysterical. I was laughing the whole time. We just did introductions and talked and played a game that made us talk some more. Hahah She gave us the syllabus, etc, etc. We go there every afternoon for 1:30 to 4:30 for 5 weeks. Should be very helpful.

After that I walked home, very tired. Did my reading for LASP Core Seminar tomorrow and the little Spanish hw I had. Writing this blog while watching the futbol game Sapprista contra Liga Alajuala. We (Sapprista) are now losing 2 to1. Oh dear…  Well about time for me to go to sleep. Long day full of lots of thoughts and walking and Spanish. J  

2 comments:

  1. wow! A lot to think about! hmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there kid, I will be praying satan will not attack your mind and you will be able to defend your beliefs clearly. You go girl. Oh wait you make comments and noises in class??? YIKES like Aunt Joanne!!! I'll really be praying for you

    ReplyDelete