Sunday, January 16, 2011

sicky icky


Unfortunately, I got kinda sick Friday night (fever, vomit,diarrhea), so Saturday my host mom took me to the Catholic hospital where they gave me an IV (which is apparently way more common here than in the US) and gave me some meds to take. I am feeling much much better today, but still nauseous and a little weak. I slept basically all afternoon and all night yesterday. Today, my family skipped church, I’m pretty sure to let me rest, which I appreciate but also feel kinda bad. It sucks because this is prob one of the lightest(work wise and activity wise) weekends we will have while here, and instead of spending it getting to know my family, I’ve been sick L.

We got our syllabus for the Core Seminar class, and it is all writing and reading. Looks like a lot of work. We have reading every day, reading critiques every week, a position paper on a topic (which is the majority of our grade), and a couple other reflection/analysis assignments. So, it looks like the next 5 weeks are going to packed full, which is good. All the topics in the seminar that they will be lecturing on look really interesting. To give you an idea, a few of them are: Poverty and Inequality in Latin America, Everything you want to know about economic systems but are afraid to ask, drug trade in Latin America, Art and popular culture in Latin America, US/Latin America Relations: US and Latin American perspective. That is just a sample of the topics that we will cover in the Core Seminar. I am very excited for it to start.

1 comment: