Tuesday, April 12, 2011

the end of San Gabriel


I just finished my last day at La Escuela de San Gabriel Brenes Robles. I am relieved. I am glad I am a nursing major, and not an education major. And that is actually a relief to know. There have definitely been times where I wondered if I should change my major to education (part of that is because of the importance of good education and the lack of it in the world).  And now I think I know that I don’t want to teach school for the rest of my life, and I wouldn’t be very good at it, at least not elementary school. Now that is not to say I didn’t enjoy this experience, it is just not what I want to do forever, or for more than 3 weeks. Hahahaa I admire elementary school teachers for doing that day in and day out. It’s definitely trying and challenging. But I think the thing that got me was I was just bored with the material… I don’t like doing the same basic material over and over and over again. Give me a challenge! Haa that is the challenge- doing it over and over and over. Hahahaha
       Random commentary on schools: At this school, the morning kids got fed lunch everyday, and in the afternoon everyone got a piece of fruit ( half come in the morning and half in the afternoon and it alternates everyother day). And ate the food for my lunch everyday, and it was the best school cafeteria food I’ve ever had. But it was simple! It was normally some sort of rice dish and beans or chicken or tuna. And it was always really good. And it was fresh, without preservatives or all the chemicals that bringing fast food into schools has. And it was because they did food that was easy to make in mass amounts- rice and bean dishes. Why don’t we try doing easier and simpler meals in our cafeterias in the US? Rice and beans is pretty good for you. A carb and a protein that isn’t fried at least. At first all the American kids would probably have a cow, but it would be a better quality of food!
       Other random thoughts: I have watched The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Aladdin, Harry Potter 6, Bewitched, The Lion King, and Space Jam all in Spanish in San Gabriel! Hahaha Also, they have tons of pirated movies!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment