These past two weeks we had a Faith and Practice Seminar 3 to 4 times a week. In the afternoons, we continued to go to Spanish classes.
We had lectures, and a group project for the seminar. The project was to as a group decide what role, if any, North Americans have in serving in Latin America, and then according to that position apply it with an action step as group. Each group had the option to use up to $400 with that action step. To summarize, these 2 weeks were full of more stimulating discussion, and many times I felt like my brain wasn’t going to be able to think anymore. This past Friday each group had to present their project to everyone. I think it went well, I hope so. Hahah My group’s basic position was: Advocacy where you have a voice, and Engagement (sometimes in forms of charity) as a lifestyle, wherever you are. We applied this concept to consumerism. As a small group of college students, we don’t have direct control over a lot of things, but we do have direct control over what we buy. The U.S. is the biggest consumer worldwide. Over the past months, we have learned about and read about the detriment our consumerism is having on other countries. So, our group researched what companies are exploiting workers, using sweatshops, using harmful chemicals etc. And we plan not to buy from these companies, however painful that may be (I think I cried a little when I read about Target). This consumerism thing is one of the main things that I feel I will definitely be changing in my life when I get back home. Did you know that Starbucks uses all fair trade coffee in the UK, but not in the US? Because the US consumer doesn’t ask for it! Aghhh!!
No comments:
Post a Comment